Monday 18 April 2011

Script rewrites... old ideas... new ideas... just ideas

I have been rewriting a script that I had originally written when I was about 18 or 19. The story is still very good, IMHO, but the original script was so bad, and I mean SO bad, that I gave it up altogether back then. I sort of picked it up again some 10 years ago (stop counting to see how old I am), but gave it up again. My patience for rewrites has never been that strong. But now, armed with improved skills, new ideas, and a lot of good will, I took it up again. The story is still worth fighting for. There are some crazy elements, an ancient Teddy bear, Cupid like you have never seen him before, a "star crossed" couple, London in the background. The rewriting good will has taken me to page 37, and I am starting to struggle again. The problem with rewrites, especially with old material, is that part of the old drafts are sort of embedded in your head. I am being rather ruthless deleting scenes, changing direction, killing my darlings, as you are told you must do... But after a while the élan you had when you started winds down quite a bit. I am not dragging my scriptwriting feet just yet, but I wonder whether I should leave the script alone for a few days and let the story brew in my head before continuing the rewrites. Dee dum, dee dum... No I shall continue. It's a mission. I must complete this script. The life of a Teddy bear depends on it, and so does Cupid's reputation.

No comments:

Post a Comment