Saturday 9 April 2011

Source Code (review)

Saw Source Code last night followed by a Q&A with director Duncan Jones. It's one of those sci-fi films which relies on the story and storytelling, not on relentless moments of special effects. It does have it's sfx moments of course, but the story's the thing. And a cool one too. If you know me a little you know it's exactly the sort of stories I like.

It has Duncan Jones' signature style, although it isn't as moody, slow paced and dark as Moon (which I simply adore). But there are some scenes where Gyllenhall's character is being briefed (and debriefed) that will put you right back into Moon mood. It draws on a great legacy of sci-fi ideas, the right ones, like those of Quantum Leap and The Twilight Zone, so as far as I'm concerned, big thumbs up there. It's a great movie, story and character driven, the right amount of sfx, it's fun, intriguing, deep, moving, with funny spells. It is so spiffingly up my street I totally recommend it. Go see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment