Wednesday 20 October 2010

Below

As Halloween gets closer I get in the mood for ghost stories and the supernatural, more than usual. I watched a crappy horror/fantasy yesterday called the Reaping. It's not even worth talking about. Watch it if you must, but you are warned, without beer and popcorn on the side you'll be left with very little to enjoy. David Morrisey and Hilary Swank are great actors, but the film is so poor and so full of cheap clichés, they can't save the day.

Instead Below is a great movie. It's a traditional scary movie, it has some really fantastic atmosphere, a splendid cast and top notch storytelling methinks. I have the DVD which offers some little gems of the making of. It's set in a submarine so it feels very claustrophobic and I was interested to see how they managed to film in tight spaces (of course it's a set, but the space is still rather tight).



Now I need to find more horror/fantasy to watch.

Yes Halloween is a pagan festivity, yes we don't celebrate in Italy, yes I love it and I wish we did. So I'm making up for what I missed through the years growing up. Jack O' Lantern are us...

No comments:

Post a Comment