Friday 5 November 2010

Revisions and rewrites

I've been revising the second draft of my collection of stories that will be published (in Italy) by Aletti editor, and my oh my, it's becoming a form of torture. I have practically learnt the stories by heart, and that's not a problem because they are mine and I like them, but finding the mistakes, spelling, verbs, punctuation and consecutio temporum, is rather a challenge now. If you've ever re-read dozens of times something you wrote you'll notice that you are unable to spot any mistake, so in that sense it's like a torture. What's worse is that I keep wanting to change, add or take out parts of the stories, sentences and so on. But that's something I can't do at this stage or I'll be fine tuning the bloody thing for ever and it would never be finished.
I'm also writing a fun feature script on a special chef who cooks very unusual menus. The script is coming together nicely, but there too, every time I interrupt the writing flow I feel like I kill neurons in my brain. It's a painful process in the sense that I'd rather just sit down and write, fully immersed, and I'd like to surface up only once the script is finished, rather than have to write it in short bursts. But life doesn't work that way and most of the times the inspiration comes when you are busy earning money to pay rent. Anyway, I mustn't complain because it's coming together. I just dread having to do the re-writes once it's finished. That is definitely the part I like the least of the creative process... but it's gotta be done.

Nanoo nanoo

No comments:

Post a Comment